Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

someone help us understand who ordered this disgusting arrangement of time and the end


I think I am allergic to India. Throughout the day and night, wherever I am, regardless of what I am doing, strange welts appear and disappear on my skin. They migrate from my arms to my feet, down my hands and across my neck, appearing and disappearing seemingly at random. They never last for long, and while they are itchy while they last, they suddenly vanish as quickly as they arrived. This has been going on almost since the day I got here, so I'm used to it now, but I'm always fascinated when I look down at my skin and see a welt that wasn't there only moments before.

Today was really rough; I actually came home at 6:30 because I was so annoyed that I couldn't stay at the office any longer, but after dinner I worked until now. Sadness. It's one a.m., I have to go to work early tomorrow to prepare for the day, and I could just keep working forever but I have to sleep sometime. However, to keep myself awake, I threw 'Love Actually' into my DVD player. It is one of the most heartbreakingly happy movies ever made. It may not have been the *smartest* movie choice I have ever made, since it is replete with tales of requited and unrequited love and images of happy airport reunions--but luckily I am not one to succumb to homesickness, and so the airport reunions did not really bother me. But, I like every single storyline for different reasons, and the movie as a whole is wonderful. Not the best backdrop for working until one a.m., but satisfying nonetheless.

I was sad to hear about the London bombings; it was mid-afternoon here when it happened, so I knew about it before I even left the office. Of course, true to selfish form, I vaguely thought that it was a shame that I've already bought my tickets to London, since there's a chance that the prices will come down if the tourists are scared off. That was actually my third thought; my first thought was shock, and my second was 'at least it's not my birthday'. Seriously, though, you gotta love the British--they seem to keep a stiff upper lip through just about anything. By the time I watched CNN tonight, someone was reporting about how life already seemed to be getting back to normal on the London streets, and at that moment some guy walked behind her and waved excitedly to the camera. I'm excited to spend some time in London when I go in August, although I'm even more excited for Rome; I bought my plane ticket from London to Rome today, and after spending a few days in Rome we'll take trains back up through Italy and France. It should be a fantastic vacation, and exactly what I need after a month of insane work and stress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home