Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Monday, June 27, 2005

welcome to the caribbean


I'm watching VH1, which, as I have mentioned before, actually shows music videos 24/7, rather than ridiculous reality TV shows. The 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' video always amuses me; as the lead singer looks pensive and laments, 'it's only me and I walk alone', his two bandmate are walking right beside him, also looking pensive. You'd think that they could have come up with a premise for the video that cut across all of them actually walking alone, rather than walking together.

The real question, though, is why I'm still awake after one a.m. The answer, my friends, is that I have a lot of work to do. I could probably work straight through until morning if I wanted to, but I don't; this isn't college, and I can't sleep off the effects of an all-nighter by taking a nap in the grass outside of Meyer. I was at the office by 8:30 this morning, stayed until 7:30, came home and ate a quick dinner, had a conference call at 8:30, and then came upstairs and watched 'Pirates of the Caribbean' while doing some work. Now I'm watching VH1 and contemplating sleep.

I think 'Pirates of the Caribbean' is one of my favorite movies ever; it definitely defied expectations, considering that it was loosely based on a Disneyworld ride. It makes me wish that a) I could be a pirate and b) I had the incentive to engage in long-term plotting and scheming. Actually, I don't think that I would like to be a pirate; ships are dirty, there is little fresh water for bathing, and sailors typically aren't the most savory lot. But, plotting and scheming is definitely fun, and I can't do much of it here because there is nothing to scheme over. Granted, I have yet to work through my scheme to get bubonic plague; I'm going to have to procure tickets to visit the rat temple, but that just requires planning, not actual scheming. Now, *scheming* would be to get the plague with malice aforethought, and then demonstrate said malice by taking a plane to Genoa and unleashing a bunch of plague-infested rats on the unsuspecting populace. Unfortunately, I've heard that bubonic plague is highly treatable with modern antibiotics, which sorta takes the fun out of it.

The monsoon was a great invention; it was so hot here before that the monsoon has made us very grateful for a relatively-frigid 85 degrees. It rained off and on all day, which was lovely. Maybe the newly cooler temperatures will encourage me to go out and explore; seven random dudes in an autorickshaw are even more pleasant to ride with when the temperature is twenty degrees cooler.

Okay, VH1 has dubious tastes; the current video is a Geri Halliwell (aka Ginger Spice) solo effort, and she is cavorting around in series of ever-more-ridiculous outfits. And now that she has danced while holding a giant banana, it's time for me to go to bed before I stab myself in the face.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i will not tell a lie. after not reading for a few days. i pushed ctrl f. and lo and behold, i found what i was looking for

     

Post a Comment

<< Home