Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

swing swing swing


I'm cranky. It became apparent that I was cranky at dinner, when I mentioned 'stabbing someone in the face' one too many times. So thank you, mafia kids, for making that such an indelible part of my vocabulary. Now my coworkers think I'm certifiably insane. Yay.

Actually, things aren't that bad, but I am really tired, and it's warm in my room because the power keeps cutting out and resetting the air conditioner in the process. Nothing here works quite right, which just contributes to the apartment's subtle charm. The power cord to my computer vaguely shocks me every time I touch it, although it apparently isn't hurting the computer; one of the windows downstairs leaked during the storm this afternoon, flooding someone's room; when they made my mirror, they stamped the model number across the mirror side, rather than the backside, and now it won't come out; the outlets in my room that don't shock me are completely non-functional. I've heard even better stories from other expats; someone who was here last year was telling me that once there was a hole in the wall or something, and pigeons got in, and to 'fix' the hole they stuffed it with newspaper, and then a pigeon got stuck in there and died. I can't wait for that to happen to me--then I can stab it in the face and relieve some tension.

I need to choose my foods more wisely tomorrow than I did today; I had French toast for breakfast, and the sugar rush meant that I crashed and burned before lunch, and lunch was too disgusting to contemplate eating. So I had some crackers and a cup of reconstituted veg soup powder (it's amazing how carrots can appear out of nothing).

To top it off, one of the extracurriculars at work is to read business school case studies; even though I have no desire to go to business school, have plenty of other work to do, and don't want to sit in a SLE-style discussion section, I have to read a case study on a restaurant. It's so unfair--I just read fourteen pages about how great their hamburgers are, and how they make real milkshakes, and when the food you eat most often is reconstituted veg soup from a foil packet, the last thing you want to do is read about hamburgers.

But, there are good things too, and it's important to remember them. There is a swing hanging in the living room downstairs; I think I've mentioned it before. It's like a bed suspended from the ceiling, and it's so nice to just lay on it and take a nap. The people in the office are fun, and I like the people I live with. However, I need to go to bed before I vent any more frustration; at this point, sleep will help more than venting. And I promise to be extra careful when plugging in my computer, since I don't want to feel the unpleasant jolt of electricity coursing through my fingers. Unless that jolt of electricity can be weaponized, in which case I'm all for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home