Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Friday, July 08, 2005

don't bend don't break baby don't back down


I'm so excited about sleeping. Tonight is great because a) I don't have work that has to be done before tomorrow and b) I don't have to set my alarm. Yay. I will have to work a lot over the weekend, but tonight is mine, and I intend to sleep at least eleven hours.

Work was hectic, as usual, and I was cranky for most of it; I had French toast for breakfast before leaving the apartment, but then just nibbled on some roti (not-as-tasty-as-naan bread product) for lunch, and so the overwhelming quantity of carbohydrates consumed did not really put me in a pleasant state. However, I left the office at five tonight for a going-away party for Thomas. The event was at Runway 9, a go-kart place a la Malibu Grand Prix in Redwood City. Unfortunately the monsoon is in full swing and it rained all day, so the track was really wet. Even more unfortunately, traffic is always bad in Hyderabad but it is even worse during rush hour, and absolutely unbearable when there is flooding. The whole city smells vaguely like raw sewage since there isn't a great drainage system, and many roads have barely-fordable miniature lakes. So, because of these factors, it took well over an hour to get from the office to the venue, since the venue was on the other side of the city. We actually skirted around the city by taking the Mumbai Highway; if we had gone in the other direction, we could have been in Mumbai in something like fifteen hours. If that doesn't sound like a fun car trip, I don't know what does.

Anyway, we sat around and drank beer for awhile, waiting for things to get started. The event itself was really nice; we had dinner at the go-kart place, and then several people had put a lot of effort into nice going-away things like singing Thomas a song, showing a slideshow, and doing a dance routine. All in all, the evening was quite a success. I left fairly early, however, because it was all I could do to keep my eyes open (and keep my mouth shut, since I tend to say inappropriate things when I'm tired and dwelling on other things).

Despite the traffic and the flooding, the Mumbai Highway was fun; we actually got up to a speed well over 70 (unfortunately 70km/hr, which is like 35mph), and we listened to music off of someone's iTrip, which was great. Gopal drove the car that I was in, and he's a great driver; he's the one that people have taught to say 'bling bling' and 'that's rad', and he has a disco ball hanging from his rearview mirror. Best of all, I saw a part of the city that I haven't seen before. We even drove past a huge herd of camels that were inexplicably stationed hundreds of miles from the desert. So, tonight was fun, although it will be hard to start saying goodbye to the expats who were here when I got here. All things come to an end, but it's hard to believe that anything will end here when it just feels like one extremely prolonged day in the office. Work/life balance is something that doesn't really exist here unless you force it to, and ironically I'm too lazy for that. Tonight, though, I shall curl up under my covers and pretend that I have no responsibilities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home