Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Sunday, July 10, 2005

loving would be easy if your colors were like my dream


I just took my malaria pill, and so I am excited to see what I dream about tonight. I also just wrote half a chapter of my romance novel; I'm through part of chapter seven, which is pretty good, although it's awful that it's been almost a month since I finished chapter six. When I sit down and write, it goes really quickly (I wrote ~1400 words today), but it's finding the time that is tricky.

Today was very lazy; I went to brunch at the Taj Krishna, and was happy to find that the Sri Lankan band was back after a month-long vacation, sporting new outfits but still singing the same songs (namely, 'Welcome to India' and a cover of 'Hotel California'). After brunch I came home and did nothing, although I did spend some time catching up with Walter; he's the only person I can talk to easily in the afternoon, since it's morning his time, rather than absurdly-early morning like it is in California. I worked on my romance novel, then went to dinner at Fusion 9 as a going-away thing for Ramsey. It was fun, and the food was really good; I had a salmon dish which may or may not have contributed to the intense stomach cramping that I felt when I got home. However, I ignored it and called my parents, and now I feel mostly okay. I'm hoping that it wasn't the salmon, because the salmon was delicious, but I don't think that salmon are native to India and so perhaps it was dangerous. Fusion 9 also serves beef, and is one of the only places that I know of in Hyderabad where you can get some kind of steak, but it seems questionable--it's not like there are ranches here to raise beef cattle, and so any beef is probably rubbish-fed and street-grown, rather than corn-fed and pastured like back home. That doesn't sound like my proverbial cup of tea.

India is really fun; I am no longer shocked by the insane things that I see outside my window, like dudes peeing on the sidewalk, or 'non-veg' dogs (non-veg dogs are the mean-looking ones that would probably take a bite out of your leg if given the opportunity; veg dogs eat garbage rather than people), or eight people in an autorickshaw, or the scary-looking electrical wires that are usually a mishmash of ten or twenty wires hanging from the same electrical poles. Despite the dreariness of the rain, the scariness of driving through puddles as deep as the underside of the car, and cleanliness that is generally lacking throughout the city, Hyderabad has a certain seductive charm that is only enhanced by the disappearance of the blistering heat. People-watching provides endless entertainment, with the amazingly colorful outfits, the interesting dental problems, and the strange ongoing clash between traditionally-conservative mores and the alcohol-fueled pub culture currently engulfing the younger generations.

I need to start taking more pictures of completely random stuff, but right now I need to sleep before my malaria dreams overtake me and the end of the world sucks me in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home