Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

every plan is a tiny prayer to father time


Okay. I had today off for an Indian festival, but I got up at 9:30, which I was rather proud of myself for since I stayed up past four last night. A group of us went to Golconda Fort and climbed all the stairs for a fantastic view of Hyderabad; I took a lot of pics that I hope have turned out well, but I'm too tired to upload them now. Then, we went to Ohri's and had Indian food (murgh makhni and garlic naan, of course), before coming home and relaxing. I meant to pack this afternoon, but instead I did a little work, watched the end of 'Crimson Tide', watched three episodes of 'Lost' with about twelve other people (the 'Lost' crew is getting a bit unwieldy at this point), and then hung out with Lauren and Josh. Now, it's past midnight, a storm is brewing outside, I only have three days left in Hyderabad, and I'm getting rather sad.

It felt like everything I saw today was something that I am never going to see again, and the melancholy and disorientation was only compounded by the fact that so many of us were essentially grounded this afternoon because of a mixup with transportation. I think I'm like one of those colonials who secretly loved the heat, the chaos, the incomprehensible Eastern mentality, and so always put off a request for a transfer back to 'civilization' because the lure of India is too strong. I am getting transferred back to 'civilization' and I'm very excited about seeing my friends and recovering my life, but it's going to take a very long time to get over this transition.

Okay, no more introspection--I must sleep. But first I must report that I got my hair chopped in Mumbai on Saturday, and it looks like a girl mullet. That's not the point, however. The point is that with some quick research, I confirmed that one of the women who was having her hair done at the ultra-exclusive salon that someone got us into with none other than a former Miss Universe, Lara Dutta. She was gorgeous in person, and also seemed quite friendly, and so I'm glad that I went to the exclusive hairdresser for that reason even if I wish she would have given me something other than a mullet. But, judging by what I saw in Italy, the mullets are coming back, and so perhaps I'm just ahead of the times.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Everyone is on the edge of their seat waiting for the photog of the female mullet.

     
  • At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Speaking of a mullet..., got a job at chic fillet..sighting artistic differences the band broke up in May.

     
  • At 3:08 PM, Blogger walter said…

    and in june reformed without me, probably because I had a freaking mullet. so i went to the barber and told him i was tired of looking like an ass-hole.

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Walter ROCKS

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For heavens sake.....Why a girl mullet???? You had or have beautiful hair. Oh well, change can be good. Cant wait to see you!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home