Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Saturday, July 30, 2005

guess i'll die another day


Before my cute little goth niece thinks that I'm turning into her, the above title is not meant to be disturbing or depressing; it's from Madonna's theme song to the most recent Bond movie, 'Die Another Day'. I forced Walter to listen to that song (and only that song!) when we drove from Stanford to Davis during fall finals week my senior year, and so it holds a v. special place in my heart.

However, I feel rather awful, and I'm guessing that it will get worse before it gets better. I woke up this morning with the sore throat, headache, and wracking cough that has taken over the city; the monsoon is not good for health, apparently. I thought I had escaped it, since most of the expats have already had it, but of course it had to wait until the week before my vacation to make its appearance known. I can't afford to miss any work this week, since I have much to do before I leave for London on Friday, so hopefully this thing won't knock me completely out of commission like it has everyone else.

I didn't blog yesterday because the internet in my apartment is dead. It's still not fixed today, but the person who was living in my old room left on Thursday, so I came down and plugged in to check my email. It's pretty likely that I won't blog tonight either, so please bear with me. Ranjit is making me sammiches, so I should go back upstairs shortly. However, I will give you a few details of the past two days:

Yesterday I worked, came home, and ate dinner with my roommates and others. We all sat around talking for a couple of hours, and then Lauren and I watched 'The Professional.' I was told that I would like it, since I expressed adoration for assassins, but this movie was definitely not what I was expecting. It was a great film, but not exactly light-hearted, and it starred a very young Natalie Portman who was apparently just as beautiful when she was 12 as she is now. After that, Lauren, Arod, and I sat around upstairs and talked until 1am--nothing like some girl-talk to make me feel like I'm not completely isolated from the rest of my life. I went to bed, and took forever to fall asleep--only to be woken up by a phone call from the California office at 2am. They were just checking to see if my phone was working, which was really irritating. After that, I was wide awake again, so I called my parents and didn't go back to bed until three.

I'd already made plans to go shopping today, which I fulfilled. I had one moment of absolute rage about the kids--I came down for breakfast, smelled and saw bruschetta (which looked amazing), tried to take a piece, and was told that I couldn't have it because it was for the babies. Only some vegan brats would eat bruschetta for breakfast, but I couldn't complain because they couldn't have the pancakes that Ranjit was making since they had eggs in them. So I ate a pancake, even though I *hate* pancakes, and thought dark thoughts as I watched the three-year-old scrape all the tomatoes off his bread and cover it in maple syrup instead.

After I successfully controlled my baser insticts, Holly and I went shopping. We went to Shoppers Stop, where I picked up underwear (I wash my own here since I don't want them to get ironed with the charcoal iron that burns everything, but I'm down to my last pairs, and it's so humid that even if I wash them today, they probably won't dry until at least Tuesday, and that will be too late to save me). Then we went to Cotton India--I tried to get them to shorten my jeans, but they claimed to have the wrong sewing machine for it, although they would shorten the skirts that I brought along as well. I picked out two more outfits there as well, and had fun using pantomime and drawings to indicate what necklines and lengths I wanted. I got home about 45 minutes ago, feeling extremely lightheaded and nauseous with a combination of illness and car-sickness. Now, I'm getting ready to eat sammiches, and then I'm going to take a nap before the birthday party tonight.

Have a great Saturday, everyone!

2 Comments:

  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    The image of you murderously watching a toddler destroy your bruschetta with maple syrup will have me entertained for hours. :)

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thanks sara now evey one knows i'm goth oh wow thats a change like they didnt notice it before....

    Love ya
    Sammi

     

Post a Comment

<< Home