Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Saturday, July 23, 2005

wish upon a star, but do you know what stars are?


I posted a bunch of pictures below because it's been several weeks since I shared visuals of my experiences. I should have taken a picture of the dead rat that I saw being devoured by flies in the street today, since it may be a harbinger of the plague, but I decided to spare your sensibilities and my reputation.

I didn't wake up until after noon today, which was fantastic. I made my own breakfast, which felt good even if it was about the laziest breakfast I could have made; Ranjit had already prepared the egg mixture for the French toast, but he happened to be out of the kitchen when I went downstairs, so I performed the grueling tasks of dipping bread into the eggs, lighting the stove, and flipping the toast until it was done. Ranjit came in when I was halfway through and was quite upset that I didn't let him finish the toast, but I was feeling obnoxious and so I refused to give him the spatula. Flipping bread with a spatula doesn't really count as cooking, but it's as close as I've gotten since arriving here (unless you count adding hot water to cup-of-noodles, or making microwave popcorn, in which case I am quite an accomplished chef).

After breakfast, I saw Regina and Heather's apartments; this experience made me long for a house of my own, which I can paint and decorate to suit my whims. Regina got them to do some really cool accent painting, such as painting the ceiling and one wall a rich burgandy while leaving the other walls a very subtle cream. Her accent walls worked much better than the accent walls that mysteriously appeared in FloMo after I graduated; Loro lounge was pretty much ruined by the deep purple wall and the matching couches, and I'm glad I moved out before that travesty occured. Heather had some really cool artwork, and these great red drapes in the dining room that I found myself coveting. I was clearly born in the wrong decade, since I would love to sit at home and spend my husband's money rather than having a 'career' and 'independence.'

Actually that's untrue--I dreamed last night that my parents shipped my car to me, and I was extremely excited even though I realized in my dream that I probably shouldn't drive during rush hour. Independence is sorely lacking here, and thinking that I would be satisfied sitting at home redecorating all the time is probably a coping mechanism, so that I can believe that I am satisfied sitting in my apartment here all the time and going on shopping excursions every weekend.

Speaking of shopping excursions, after seeing the apartments I went to Cotton India with Regina to pick up the outfits that I got stitched last week. They turned out very well; I got two full outfits and two tops, and the stitching bill for everything came to Rs.610, or ~US$14. I will endeavor to get a picture taken when I wear one of the outfits. The outfits are called salwar kameezes, and they consist of a calf-length tunic (slit up to the waist to enable movement) over a matching pair of pants. The glorious thing about buying outfits here is that they are all so bright. One top that I got has bold vertical stripes, mostly in the red family, with colored beads dangling from the sleeves and the waist; the other top is a bright blue with mirrorwork down the front and on the sleeves. One outfit has a calf-length tunic with an almost irridescent combination of navy and green, with green pants and a matching navy/green scarf; the other outfit has a red tunic with sequins, with white pants and a white scarf. Yay for colors. Unfortunately, since I was with Regina I had ample opportunity to buy more stuff there, as she loves to shop--I resisted the urge to buy more outfits, but I did get a couple of shawls at a very reasonable price.

After that, we went to Qmart to pick up groceries. I intended to get dropped off at Coffee Day so that I could work on my romance novel, but at that point it was after five, and so we went home instead. Ranjit made v. tasty pasta and chicken parmesan for dinner, and Lauren and I watched the penultimate stage of the Tour de France; Lance Armstrong dominated, as expected, and he's definitely going out in style. We were going to watch 'Hero' afterwards, but it had been dubbed instead of utilizing subtitles, and the people doing the dubbing seemed to barely speak English. We quit after about eight minutes, since it was impossible to understand the dubbed words and it was completely ruining the film. They even dubbed the grunts and moans of the first fight scene, which was an indication that it could only go downhill from there.

So, that was my Saturday. I'm going to go to bed now in an effort to get even more caught up on my sleep deficit, since that sleep decifit is likely to start growing again as I do everything that has to get done before I go on vacation. Goodnight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home