Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Monday, July 25, 2005

love inside the atom split


Today was great. This is because I actually ate something for lunch that wasn't a peanut butter sandwich or microwave popcorn. We switched food vendors today, and the new guys are really really good. Maybe they are just trying to impress us, but so far I am very happy. Apparently the first vendors had problems with rats and prodigious quantities of hair in the food, and so the second vendors were acceptable in comparison--but the second vendors made extremely greasy, nasty food that was very distressing over the long run. The new guys served some great tandoori chicken today, as well as a really tasty eggplant and potato dish that almost tasted like lasagna. The best, though, is that they have a salad/sandwich bar, which was fantastic--and judging by the fact that I haven't been violently ill yet, their vegetables are fairly safe. Yay. I normally fall into the 'boo vegetables' crowd, but since I have a tendency to want what I can't have, vegetables have become increasingly appealing here.

So, the unusual feeling of comfortable fullness in my stomach this afternoon made me almost giddy with excitement, and it was hard to concentrate on my work. I was in the office until 9:30, but much of the two hours between 6:30 and 8:30 was spent procrastinating until my conference call. There's a massage chair in the office, and so I sat in that for awhile as my back has been aching. The funny thing about the massage chair is that it's extremely powerful--as it was simultaneously squeezing my legs really hard and kneading into my neck, I vaguely wondered whether there was a chance that it would accidentally decapitate me. I emerged unscathed, however, and much more relaxed despite my fear of catastrophe.

I wore one of my new outfits to work today (see picture below), and received a lot of compliments for it. I think I managed to pull it off without looking like one of those despicable posers that I was so afraid of becoming; Vidya told me that since I'm not a dirty hippie trying to find myself by wearing Indian clothes, it's acceptable for me to wear salwar kameezes. Good--they're super super comfortable, and it felt like I was getting away with wearing my pajamas to the office. And the outfit had *sequins* on it. I never get to wear sequins! Between being able to eat lunch and getting to wear sequins to the office, today was a red-letter day indeed.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You look wonderful in the new outfit and it is even red!!

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ooh! sequins! you look super cute in a salvar sara. & that's a real compliment, as it is the traditional garment of my home state. iowa. i mean punjab. dammit.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home