Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

two decades of failure, betrayal, and disaster


Ah, the joys of being employed. Today was quite stressful. I had more to do than I could possibly accomplish in the day, and then I got a couple of extra projects added to my plate that couldn't be pushed aside. One was an interview that wasn't originally scheduled for me, but the original interviewer was sick, and so I helped out. The stressful thing about that was that it was shadowed by the head of the office here, which made me nervous since I don't have a lot of experience with interviewing and don't feel that I'm particularly good at it. It went well, but I spent almost an hour prepping for it, in addition to the half hour that the interview lasted, and so that ate up the one big block of time that I had set aside to clear out some other tasks. So, I worked form 9-6:30, came home and had dinner, then worked from 8 until midnight, with a conference call somewhere in there.

It's not all bad, though. I watched 'The Royal Tenenbaums' while working, which means that I probably could have been more efficient if the TV was off, but I also probably would have fallen asleep, so watching the movie was the lesser of two evils. I love 'The Royal Tenenbaums', mostly because it has a completely offbeat sense of humor. I've previously said that a good test of potential friendship is asking people what they thought of 'Zoolander', since someone who hated that movie could never get along with me; however, I think that 'The Royal Tenenbaums' might be a better litmus test. The humor in the latter movie is more bizarre, and cuts out the people who are only into 'Zoolander' for the (admittedly brilliant) orange mocha frappucino scene.

iTunes is apparently bulimic ('you can read minds?!' - that's from 'Zoolander', natch)...it's on shuffle mode, and it just started playing 'I Started a Joke', which is the song that plays in the background when Zoolander leaves the VH1 Fashion Awards, asks 'who am I?' to his own reflection in a mud-puddle, hears Hansel say 'The results are in, amigo! What's left to ponder?...Nice comeback!', sees the billboard in Times Square announcing that 'Confused Loser Zoolander Tries to Steal Award', walks home, and cries himself to sleep in his absurdly small bunk bed. It's sort of a heart-wrenching song by The Wallflowers--who apparently just released a new album last month. Since my exposure to new music here is limited to the latest Telugu radio hits and random techno songs sent to me by Can Sar, it should be understandable that I have no idea what's going on with the music scene in the States.

It may be apparent from the level of detail in the last paragraph that I'm too obsessed with 'Zoolander', but I could name two other people in the world with equal or greater levels of knowledge (think Allie and Walter, since we watched it any time that we wanted a break from the residents, which during orientation meant four times in seven days). This is probably not particularly beneficial or enlightening to any of my readers, and it's certainly not helping me to get some much-needed rest, so I think it's time for bed!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh oh, sad pandas, i fail the litmus test...i don't really like the royal tanenbaums, ehat are we going to do?!?!?!


    -CLaudia

     

Post a Comment

<< Home