Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Sunday, June 12, 2005

nothing hurts like your mouth


I got absolutely nothing done today, which is both unfortunate and wonderful. I should have unpacked all my stuff, done my laundry, and caught up on work. Instead, I had brunch, got a manicure, went shopping, saw 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith', and had dinner at Cinnabar Redd. I shall describe each event in order, since the only thing I really do on this blog is go into excruciating detail about the mundane aspects of my life.

Brunch was enjoyable; I had a BLT, and while the bacon is not the same as bacon at home, I am none the worse for it and so consider myself quite fortunate. I undertook the manicure because I have had hangnails recently and did not want to take my granddad's 'cure' of supergluing them to my fingers, and I thought that the manicure would soften my hands. Unfortunately, my skin is super sensitive, and so while the woman was doing a good job, three of my cuticles ended up bleeding. It's clear that concern about biohazards is not strong here, since she just kept going (after expressing remorse over making me bleed, of course). So now, I have no hangnails, but I have three scabbed-over cuticles, and so I think that I ended up with less attractive hands than I had before. Evidently this is the price of vanity.

Since we have to coordinate rides back from brunch, I ended up going shopping with some people; the only store we went to was FabIndia. The store clearly caters to the expatriate community, since I see a much higher proportion of white people there than I do anywhere else. I got a shirt and some soap, then sat around and waiting for half an hour while the people I was with finished picking out curtains for their apartment. I spent the downtime watching Ramsey play a brick-breaking game on his BlackBerry, which was about as dull as it sounds, but the chair we were sitting on was comfortable and so I couldn't complain.

'Mr. and Mrs. Smith' was v. satisfying; I love hot people and explosions, and assassins have always been very appealing to me (perhaps because they are efficient in the most deadly way possible), so I really liked it. However, Indian theatres are endlessly frustrating; cellphones are ringing constantly and people actually answer them, and there is an intermission in the middle of the movie that always seems to occur at the most inopportune time. Today's intermission came as Brad Pitt was climbing an air shaft to reach his target, and so being forced to take a break in the middle of a key scene was really annoying. I will definitely get this one when it comes out on DVD, and then I can enjoy it sans intermission.

We had dinner at Cinnabar Redd after the movie, which was lowkey and quite enjoyable. Now, I should be working (or calling my parents), but I really want to sleep instead. So, I'm going to be bad and go to sleep. I'm sad that I'm missing Stanford graduation, however; commencement is probably still going on right now, and I'm not there to wish anyone well :( Congratulations, everyone! I hope that graduation rocks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home