Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Friday, June 24, 2005

i want to take you far from the cynics in this town


This evening was our quarterly offsite, and it was held at Family World in Begumpet, Hyderabad. This means nothing to you, and very little to me, since I am oblivious to directions unless I know that I will have to drive someplace myself. Anyway, the offsite was great fun; people could bring their families, and so there were lots of adorable kids running around. It was set up like a carnival, with food, fortune tellers, games, performers, and other fun things. The things of note:

1) The games were all extremely cheap and shoddy, and so brought back fond memories of the carnies that Katie and I were so enamored of in high school. The guns in the shooting game looked like they could be dangerous, the throwing game required a lot of time to keep setting up the fallen cups, and the ring toss' sole object was to toss rings over snacks that we can normally get for free in the office. Not a fan of the games, but it was cool that they were there nonetheless.

2) The fortune-teller was really fun. You would lay your right hand over his deck of cards, he would let his trained parrot out of the cage, and the parrot would pick a card for you before dutifully returning to its cage. The 'card' was actually an envelope containing several cards, which he would then read to you. I got one of my coworkers to translate, and the gist of it was that I would marry someone with whom I would have a tendency to fight, although that would go away, that I would have three kids (the first of which will be a boy), and that I will die at the age of 75 (and I hope that Western medicine can make me last longer than that). The most random thing, though, was that he said that my parents raised me more like a boy than a girl, and he did not elaborate on this. In any event, the parrot was awesome.

3) The girls doing henna tattoos (aka mehndi) were really good. I didn't intend to get it done, since it has to dry and is generally a pain until it is set (and I think looks fairly funny on my pale skin). Vidya, please know that I did it in honor of your sister's wedding.

4) They brought in some people to give away bangles, so I walked away with two dozen glass bangles to match the top that I was wearing. I'm definitely going to have to raid a bangle store in the near future.

5) Dinner was good, although there's probably a 64-percent chance that it will make me sick. We shall see...

Okay, there was more, and the night was fun, but I'm exhausted. Please see the pictures below for more info. Goodnight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home