Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

california dreamin'


I somehow managed to make it to India without a copy of 'California Dreamin', despite the fact that I definitely have it on a CD someplace back home. I downloaded it from iTunes tonight, and I also picked up a copy of a techno remix of the song, which is rather hysterical. I'm not feeling nostalgic, precisely, but it would be v. nice to have my car again, and be able to drive places and not have to deal with the insane traffic and the cringe-inducing near-accidents that we face on a daily (or minutely) basis. I miss my car more than just about anything else--the sunroof, the CD player, the feel of the gearshift under my palm, the broken side-view mirror, the vague smell of rotting watermelon and vinegar. Oh, car, I hope that you're safe and happy!

I can't believe that it's already June; if I don't get my trip extended, I'll be home in four months! Home in four months sounds nice, but I have a daunting amount to accomplish between now and when I leave, and from that angle five or six months sounds more reasonable. I should know in the next couple of weeks, and then I can begin planning my remaining time in earnest.

Ismail picked up my lehnga and my sari for me today; I probably should have gone with the fixed-waist option, rather than the zipper and drawstring option, for the lehnga skirt. I still don't know what fixed-waist is, but the drawstring option resulted in a skirt that is at least two sizes too big that you then tie closed. The tricky part about this is that the skirt is really heavy from all of the embroidery and sparkle, and so I will just have to hope that the drawstring will suffice and that the skirt won't fall off at an inopportune moment. Despite that, it's gorgeous; I'm also going to have to learn how to wrap a sari at some point, since I really want to wear the sari but can't figure out how to make it look like anything other than a poorly-wrapped bedsheet. So I'll wear the lehnga tomorrow, and try to get sari lessons from one of the house-women.

Work was fine; I had a lot to catch up on, and I had wanted to leave early so that my back wouldn't start hurting, but despite the fact that I got there a little after eight, I still didn't leave until six. By that point, it was too late for my back, and it's definitely not well yet. So I came home, tried on the lehnga, laid around downstairs, ate dinner, and now am ready to go to bed. I have to leave for the wedding by 7:15am tomorrow, and then go to work straight after that, and then out to dinner because some people are visiting from California, so it's promising to be a long day. This weekend, I'd like to catch up on some work, and maybe (maybe!) work on my romance novel. No promises, though--I don't like making promises, because then I feel constrained, and constraints drive me insane. But, if all goes well, perhaps my main characters will make it past their wedding night!

4 Comments:

  • At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    drawstring is actually always the best option. no jhokes. it always fits better than fixed or zipped. also, it's adjustable. so if you lose or gain inches, it still worktizzles. thankjou.

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Blogger ~Wamp said…

    Things you are missing in Iowa:

    1) Watching me driving vehicles based on time of day. The dually pickup of dad's I had got repossessed from me, my car is overheating and seems to need a new or rebuilt radiator, the S10 is a good backup except the headlight switch no longer works, so it can't be driven at night. And I currently don't have the finances to repair the paint damage on my best old chevy. So don't complain about not being able to drive, it's not all it is cracked up to be.

    2) Coming home after an enjoyable community college speech class to unhappy parents whose Dell completely died this evening.

    3) Seeing the agony and defeat on my face when attempting to nut up and kick things off with a female prospect via MSN, only to have her tell me about spending the night with her ex boyfriend last night.

    Do you have room for me in India?

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Things you are missing at my house:
    1) Kids fighting on who should be able to play on the computer first

    2) The hard metal bleachers at a ballfield in two different towns on the same day and almost the same time

    3) The two inches oh rain in less then an hour, the strong winds, and the weather watches and warnings that come across the bottom of the televison once a day

    Since there would be no room for me and your brother in India..

    Maybe you could send 9 yards of material that could be used as soundproofing me from the kids

     
  • At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know that without your car there are no repair bills, or wear on your tires. Think about it..


    Miss you!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home