Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

throw away your television


Some things just don't translate. I'm watching the Indian version of 'Pop-up Video' on Indian MTV; they have pop-up commentary on Indian music videos. The best, though, were the jokes interspersed in the video commentary:

Q: What do you call a girl with a hairy back?
A: Bear back!

Q: What do you call it when a cricketer has an affair?
A: Extra Marital innings!

The first one I didn't find funny; the second one, I didn't get at all.

So, I started switching channels, and I saw a screen that just said:

How do you get the British to surrender?

A. Execute prisoners
B. Call off negotiations
C. Threaten attack

Just when I thought that I was going to get to see a primer on guerrila warfare, or at least on the British occupation of India, it turned out that it was just a History Channel show on the American Revolution, dubbed in some other language. Sadness.

I was at work for almost fourteen hours today, which totally rocked. I'll give a shout-out to Lizzie, who hoped that she'd get an official mention after sending me a nice email and some music. Since I was at work all day, I don't really have much to report. However, it's been exactly four weeks since I got to India, which is impossible to believe. It seems like I've only been here for a few days, but it's already been a month! It's no wonder that I'm getting a little stir-crazy; I feel like I should be out exploring, or doing interesting things, rather than spending all my time working and sleeping. However, since I'm paid to be here working< I can't really complain about that. But hopefully I'll get out and do something this weekend. Or, I could wait a couple of weeks until the monsoon hits, and then it may be cool enough that I won't die if I'm outside for more than twenty minutes.

Pizza Hut in the United States is incredibly tasty; in India, it's downright amazing. Since some of us were at the office late, we ordered pizza, and it is unbelievably satisfying to eat greasy American pizza after a day in which I subsisted on corn flakes and popcorn (I had meetings straight through lunch, which was brutal). I also took a break around eight p.m. to sit in the massage chair; we have the same massage chair here that we have in the office back home, which I think is really funny, particularly since they still haven't bothered to translate the controller, and so you just end up pushing random buttons and seeing Japanese characters telling you doubtlessly-vital informaiton right before the machine starts molesting you. Despite the fact that it would occasionally squeeze my calves until I was afraid that my legs would be broken, it really helped my neck, and it gave me a much-needed boost before my last meeting of the day.

I have a lot of things to ponder, but I do not feel any closer to resolution about where I'm going with my life than I did the day that I showed up in Hyderabad. However, tonight is not that night that my fate will be resolved, and so I think I'll go to bed instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home