Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Friday, May 13, 2005

'cause i've been waiting all week to feel this way


Ah, the joys of Friday. I got out of the office by 6:30, came home and took a powernap, and then went to a restaurant/lounge called Touch for a pseudo-bridal-shower. This place was hysterical; there was an inordinate amount of mood lighting, there were little squares of water embedded in the tables with rose petals and floating candles, there were floor-to-ceiling sheer drapes all over the place, and everything was v. white and v. 'modern'. It felt like something straight out of 'Shock of the New', for those SLE kids out there--actually, I was a terrible SLE kid and don't remember much of 'Shock of the New' other than that I thought all the modern art was ridiculous, and since that's what this place was, I assume that it could have been featured very prominently in our spring quarter class [for those of you who didn't go to Stanford, SLE is 'Structured Liberal Education', and I wear my participation in it like the mark of Cain].

Despite the silly decor, the food was really good, and the drinks were entertaining. I have a penchant for entertaining drinks, rather than good drinks, and I definitely hit the jackpot at this place. They were actually serving something very close to the infamous Tokyo Army (a Tokyo Tea is a real drink, w/Midori melon liquer, vodka, gin, rum, sweet and sour mix, and triple sec...but the Tokyo Army was concocted at a party with a v. limited selection of mixers, and involved brandy and blue curacao so that it was army drab instead of the superbright Midori green). They called it something else, but in my mind, a mix of blue curacao and whiskey could only end up being a Tokyo Army. I avoided that, but I did have a blue martini that was served, very surprisingly, in a bowl-shaped glass with a glowstick in it. My second drink was a Green Demon (midori and some other stuff; I essentially split the Midori and the blue curacao into two separate experiences, and was happy that I did). After that, I stopped, since I was sitting next to my boss and it just seems strange to have any drinks at all with your boss, let alone two. It's rather unavoidable here, since we all live together, eat together, work together, shop together, go out together, etc., etc., but it's still just slightly weird.

The rest of the day was good as well; some of the people in the office are putting together and band, and they played a few songs this afternoon at the end-of-week meeting. Their version of Radiohead's 'Creep' needed some work, but they are pretty good at Led Zeppelin, which was highly amusing. It was also more enjoyable and interactive than the miming performance last week, so things are looking up.

American slang is proliferating amongst the people who work for us; when Gopal, one of my favorite drivers, was bringing me home last night, we almost got hit by an autorickshaw. His reaction? 'Oh snap!' That's so hot. I wonder what he would think of 'Zoolander'?

I have to go into the office tomorrow afternoon, which is an unfortunately necessary evil. I'm trying to leave the rest of the weekend relatively unstructured; I know we'll have brunch on Sunday, and I want to go to a bookstore, but I'd prefer to spend the rest of the time sitting around and reading or writing. Yes, writing...the romance novel has to get finished while I'm here, and I have to start sometime. Will tomorrow be the day I start? Don't count on it :)

2 Comments:

  • At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "How would people in a midwest state in USA feel if their tax dollars were all spent in the capital city to create a haven for foreign workers living and working in nice conditions and no money was spent locally?"

    -probably the same way that they feel about the fact that I'm currently in India, teaching people to do a job that could be done in the Midwest. Or that people on the coasts think they're stupid for being Republicans. etc.

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger ~Wamp said…

    In response to "what do you think his thoughts be…." Having used mother nature as a toilet many times myself, I seriously doubt he was contemplating the meaning of life or even paying much attention to Hitec city. No, I would argue that this Hyderabad resident was feeling what most do after defecating: relief.

    But I don’t entirely disagree with your point, or with the editor's.

    (And for your curiosity Vijay, the bat was destroyed. While they do kill bugs, the bats are much more annoying than the bugs.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home