Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

fo' sizzle


Gopal, one of the drivers, has picked up some truly entertaining American slang; he now refers to the mini-discoball dangling from his rearview mirror as 'bling bling', and he also says 'that's rad' and some other key phrases. However, he can't quite pronounce the 'sh' sound, so Snoop-style speech comes out 'fo sizzle' instead of 'fo shizzle'. This definitely makes Gopal one of the most entertaining drivers to ride with, even if conversation isn't particularly enlightening.

Today was great; I slept in, had French toast and pancakes for breakfast, and then went shopping. Some of us went to Meena Bazaar, which specializes in fabrics and custom tailoring--you can take a preexisting piece of clothing, choose some fabrics, and the tailors there will copy your shirt or pants or whatever to whatever color you want. I did a test run with my orange capri cargo pants, although they will not be cargo pants since I told them to nix the pockets by the knees; they will also not be orange, since I'm getting one pink pair and one yellow pair. The fabric selection was *amazing*--there were more fabrics there than I have ever seen. Well, perhaps that isn't true. But the fabrics were unbelievable, especially if I was looking for dressier stuff; you could get gorgeous evening dresses made from some of the fancier fabrics, and they had great silks as well. We'll see how they do with the pants, and if I'm satisfied, I'm definitely getting a lot of clothes made while I'm here. Grand total for the fabric was less than $10, and the tailoring was also less than $10--so that's about $17 for two pairs of custom-made pants. How hot is that?

Afterwards, we wandered into a shoe store on a whim, and I got a pair of comfy platform sandals; I almost went crazy and got the tallest pair they had, which added about six inches to my height, but I was talked out of the madness and so settled for comparatively tame four inch platforms instead. Then we went to Kalanjali, this v. upscale department store, since I was on a mission to find bedding. And boy, did I ever find bedding. This place is my new Mecca...not that it can satisfy all my needs, since they didn't appear to sell sheets, but the bedspreads were absolutely gorgeous. I can't pass up great bedding, especially when it's such a comparative steal; so, I walked out with two comforters, both of which I will definitely take home with me and so am not expensing and then leaving behind. The first one is several shades of pink/peach, in what looks like a fairly famous quilt pattern, but I can't remember the pattern name. Anyway, it's made of organza, I believe; one main color is spangled with small beads and stars, the the other main color is woven w/a really subtle leaf pattern in another shad of pink. I know that it sounds horribly gaudy, but it's really quite lovely; I'll take a picture of it when I'm not quite so tired. The other one is heavier and darker, sort of a muted reddish-orange, with really intricate embroidery and tiny mirror-work. I'm happy as a clam with all my new bedding; I'm predicting that I'll have a hard time getting through customs on the way back to the States because they'll think I'm running an illicit importing business.

We all had dinner at this place called Oory's; the first floor is ice cream, the second floor is Indian food, and the third floor is Chinese food. We had Chinese, and it was really ridiculously good. The best was the lobster; I had far too much of it, considering that it was an appetizer, and almost made myself sick by trying to eat more food when the main courses arrived. The funny thing about the lobster was that they brought it out before they cooked it for us to inspect, but they garnished it before they presented it for inspection, so one of the guys ended up holding a raw, ugly lobster covered in pretty carrot flowers, and was completely confused about what he was supposed to do with it. Once they cooked it, however, it was to die for. Since I didn't eat anything at the office all week, other than peanut butter sandwiches, I'm definitely making up for it on the weekends.

After getting back to the apartments (which, by the way, are labeled Silicon County on the complex sign, which amuses me every time I see it), some of us watched 'Spanglish'. The movie was surprisingly depressing for a comedy; it's just painful to watch a movie about someone who is clearly with the wrong person, even if that person is played by Adam Sandler and so can't help but being just a little bit amusing. I think he's doing a really good job of getting away from playing the complete retards that he normally plays, however; he was really great in this movie, and he managed to grasp and hold the audience's sympathy throughout the movie just by being so...nice, rather than funny. I have trouble remembering to be nice, rather than funny, sometimes myself, and so I guess this movie has given me a lot to ponder.

With that obscure Zoolander reference ('the results are in, amigo! what's left to ponder?.....nice comeback!), I think it's time to go to bed! Sweet dreams (or sweet daydreams), everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home