Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

out on the street are so many possibilities to not be alone


I got to leave work at 3:30pm today for an offsite, which rocked; as mentioned yesterday, we had tickets to see 'Salaam Namaste,' a newly-released Hindi film. Unfortunately for me, the movie was in Hindi and so I couldn't understand the dialogue; fortunately for me, it was v. heavy on songs and dances, and the plot was easy to pick up even if I missed the nuances of the characters' thoughts. By the end of it, I was ready to leave, since it was about three hours long. The last scene was in an emergency room, where the female star was giving birth, and since the volume of the film was much too high, her incessant shrieking gave me a headache. However, the male lead was absolutely ridiculous, and the storyline was relatively controversial--the costars actually made out and had obvious sexual encounters onscreen, lived together before marriage, got pregnant, and discussed whether to have an abortion before the girl decided to keep the baby. It was also set in Australia, which gave them an excuse to have a dance sequence at a wedding in which all of members of the bridal party stripped off their formalwear so that they could frolic in swimsuits on the beach. I thought that part was completely hysterical.

After the movie, we had dinner at a nearby hotel; the food was decent, and we played fun icebreaker-style games. I didn't get home until almost eleven, and then I had to pack for my trip to Delhi tomorrow. I'm going to leave straight from the office, but i'm taking my laptop with me since this isn't a real vacation and I have work to do. So, perhaps I'll blog over the weekend--Delhi is not nearly as remote as Hampi, and so I should be better able to keep in touch. No promises, however--and if I don't go to sleep now, I won't make it to the office tomorrow, and that would be truly unfortunate! Goodnight, everyone!

2 Comments:

  • At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I find myself thinking about Bubba. Such a considerate young man, to be worried about offending people with his vote. I've decided that I like Bubba. He's alright. And don't worry, Bubba, the voting was just a rather crazy game concocted by your rather crazy aunt Sara.

     
  • At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dgim!!!!!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home