Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

as the blood runs red down the needle and thread...someday you will be loved


The Hampi trip was physically brutal, but emotionally wonderful. Spending so much time on a train was not pleasant and was probably a good way to pick up a nasty infection, but the gorgeous serenity of the rocky terrain more than made up for it. Excluding the quick trip to Sri Lanka, it had been so long since I had actually seen the moon, or been to someplace with relatively clean air; and even though I was with the same people that I spend all my time with, it was nice to be with them in a place other than Hyderabad. I don't think that I'm designed for city living; traffic drives me crazy, and conversely nothing makes me happier than driving around winding country roads with no one in sight for miles. While California hardly qualifies as 'sparsely populated', it will seem completely empty compared to Hyderabad, and so there are definite advantages to returning to America.

I've decided to go to Bali for a week after I leave Hyderabad. I'll be good and not try to smuggle ecstasy into the country, since I have no desire to spend fifteen years in an Indonesian prison. It will be nice to take a break between my India life and my California life so that I can start the process of fitting the two together before I have to go back to the crazy whirl of friends, family, work, and parties. I'm going to get back to the States just in time for Halloween, which means that I should find a costume here--maybe I'll dress up as a Naxalite rebel. Nothing would be better than showing up dressed as a terrorist at an office where most people probably won't recognize me. Sounds like a good way to get arrested!

It's still early (around 10:20pm), but I haven't recovered from Hampi yet, so I should go to bed. But, I've suckered about 14 people into doing another 12-hour train ride in a couple of weeks, this time to the caves at Ajanta. They're all fools, and I'm so excited. Lauren and I decided today that our first expat reunion should be a Greyhound busride to Spokane, just to make sure we make a miserable trip to an unlikely destination. I'm obviously down for anything, but I doubt that the Spokane trip will happen. Sadness.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:10 PM, Blogger bell lap said…

    i'll have you know that i've actually taken a greyhound bus to spokane. weak, very weak.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home