Sara Does India

What I want to get in India: silks, spices, the Black Death. What I will probably get in India: food poisoning, heatstroke, too much work. What you probably want from this blog: gory details of interpersonal relationships. What you will probably get from this blog: a candid description of my travels and thoughts, sans (too much) drama.

Monday, June 20, 2005

i'm only happy when it's complicated


The craziest thing--there is a couple here who once worked at the American Embassy in Kiev, and they were in Kiev about a month after my family left in 1994. We sat around after dinner and exchanged stories, although theirs are admittedly much better than mine, since I was twelve and they were in their twenties. However, it made me very nostalgic--Ukraine was a very formative experience in my life, for all that it now seems like a weird dream, and I wish I could go back and see it all through adult eyes. You can never go back, though, since the changes wrought by ten years of free-market capitalism and thuggery have made it a completely different country from what we saw in the summer and fall of '93.

I really want to start traveling; there is so much to do, see, and experience, and I feel like I am missing all of it because I'm chained to my desk. Since being chained to my desk is what I'm here for, I can't be too upset, but I would like to go to Goa, and Bombay, and Delhi, and see the Taj Mahal and Fatehpur Sikri and all sorts of other cool things. Thus far, I have seen one museum, one blown-up bus, a temple, and a bunch of ravaging monkeys, plus the insides of all the nicest restaurants in Hyderabad. I'm not acquiting myself so well, I feel. I keep saying that there is plenty of time--but if I'm really coming home in October, I'm already a third of the way through my time here! That's unbelievable, and also incredibly scary.

Here is where I must insert a shout-out to Vidya, who pleaded for a mention in my blog because she likes to ctrl-f and look for her own name. Knowing her prepped me for the insanity of India and Indians, and I am very grateful for it.

I'm sorry, kids, I'm too tired to think of else fun things to say tonight, so I'll have to leave you. Goodnight!

4 Comments:

  • At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I GOT A SHOUT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sara Jane - remind me what your e-mail address is. Aunt B

     
  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger Can Sar said…

    I also want to say that one of Doug's freshmen is called Divya, which is clearly a permutation of Vidya. I feel she also deserves a shout out, especially because I always called her "Foosball girl" before realizing this amazing fact about her name.

     
  • At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i want to say that it amuses me that the lamest entries get the most comments.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home